Monday, December 5, 2011

Christmas on Mercer Street

Last Saturday, I went to a craft fair called Christmas on Mercer Street to sell my glass necklaces I made to get to Ghana with my Girl Scout troop. I spent the night at my friend Jessica’s to be able to wake up early to go.
When we got up, I dressed after sitting and staring blankly at the mirror. I ate and packed my things to get ready to go home after the fair, but when I walked outside, it was pouring cats and dogs. Not to mention it was extremely cold. For Texas. After arriving at the fair at seven in the morning, we go hot chocolate and I burned my tongue (I couldn’t eat anything sour or crunchy for two days). We set up the tent and waited for the other troop. Slowly they arrived, but there were too many people in the tent. Some of us had to leave the tent to go look around, ‘cause we were all mushed together. My sneakers and socks were soaked through and my feet felt like they were thawing out all day without ever being frozen. I jumped in puddles and waded through small streams down the street and my feet didn’t feel any wetter or look so.
I met a Finnish lady who spoke fluent German. Jessica is learning German, so we sat there for a while. I saw a scorpion made from gears and bicycle chains, and homemade chain mail jewelry. There was food, paintings, sewing projects, and chili pepper ornaments. I collected pine cones and pine needles from the giant pine tree at thee end of the road and did and obstacle course. I stepped on a wobbly rock and it fell out of place, throwing me onto the ground. My big bruise started turning purple instantly, but that quickly went away. I walked back to our booth and  cheered up so as not to drive away customers or add more misery to the weather.
We each made one hundred dollars that day between the three girls there. It was a profitable day considering the conditions outside and I met and saw a lot of neat people and their crafts.

No comments:

Post a Comment